Friday, February 15, 2013

God Save the Queen

Occasionally I will step into a city for the first time and fall instantly in love with it. I first noticed this happen about 2 years ago when I went to Liverpool, England for the day while on a layover in Manchester. I don't know why, or what it was but when I stepped out of the train station onto the streets of Liverpool I fell in love with it there instantly. Was it the architecture? The people? The vibe in the air? I don't know but I love Liverpool. It happened again in Malaga, Spain. Same thing, a few steps out the hotel door and I was in love. I understand why here a little more: Warm salt air, old stone streets, Spanish, churros, cafe, tapas, I could go on and on. I love Malaga. When I first wanted to transfer to NYC I seriously considered commuting from Malaga. I love it that much. That was before I met the most amazing guy in the world, so now my feet will stay in America, till I can convince him to move there for a while. Anyways, the same thing happened again today, in London.

I came to London when I was in high school as a part of one of those "see all you can in 2 weeks" tour of Europe deals. We stayed in London a day or two, but I hardly remember much from that trip. I was quite excited then to come back and really experience London now that I've learned a thing or two. (I imagine in another 13 years I'll be able to say that again.) As I stepped out of my hotel onto the street I felt that love come back over me again. Why? Still, I can't say. I think it's just the feel of a place. Maybe the way people move about the street. The oldness in the buildings, the history they hold. Even the pigeons and squirrels were charming today. Even in the middle of winter a place can latch onto you and wrap it's fingers around your heart.
I am so looking forward to coming back to London and exploring all of the things she has to offer. Today I spent my time being a tourist. I walked 6 miles passing by all the "big" sights London boasts: Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Big Ben, The London Eye, The Globe, Tower Bridge, and the Tower of London. Needless to say my dogs are howling and that is why I have time to write this post, my feet can't keep going like I want them too.

Being based in NYC now opens up so may new cities to explore. I can't wait to see which ones I love and which I can do without. (FYI, on the 'can do without list': Paris, those jerks broke into my hotel room and stole my stuff!)
Till then, Mind the Gap.

Buckingham Palace

No comments:

Post a Comment