Friday, March 29, 2013

Erin go Bragh

Folks, lately, I have been working like a dog, like a dog! It has been insane. Short nights and long days. It really needs to be the other way around. But that's a topic for another day. Right now I want to tell you all about the friendliest people I have EVER met ......The Irish! Oh my, they are so insanely nice. I had the chance a few weeks ago before the slave days started to go to Ireland for the first time. From the moment the people stepped foot on the plane to the moment I stepped off the plane back in NYC I was enchanted by the Irish. Everyone was jolly, had a nice word to say (in that incredibly wonderful accent they have) and wanted to be extremely helpful. I really wish I had had more than 24 short hours there.

In the airport.
 This year Ireland is having a year long celebration celebrating, itself! It's inviting anyone who has Irish roots to come "home" and celebrate them. I wish I had Irish roots.
Hotel Lobby

Come and take your high tea here.













The hotel that we stay at is the Shelbourne. One of the oldest, nicest hotels in Dublin. Famous people have stayed and still stay there. Again, the people are so super nice. When I told the lady at the front desk that it was my first time in Ireland, she whipped out a map and started showing me everything I should do and see. As I explored the hotel everyone I saw, at the spa, the gym, the restaurant, they all offered to give me a tour. So nice! 
I really thought this was a lovely photo.

Dublin Coddle



































































 I wanted to get some authentic Irish food so I went to a place recommended by the sweet front desk gal, The Hairy Lemon. Weird name, good food. I have a Dublin Coddle. As you can see it's a type of stew. It was very tasty, and a huge portion. I couldn't eat it all. It had potatoes, carrots, celery, sausage, broth and spices. Simple, but yummy.










Walking around Dublin I found it to remind me a lot of Liverpool. I guess they are only separated by a small stretch of water after all. It had a old, industrially feel to it. Add to it the fog and nice people and you get a homey kind of feel. 
Trinity College

 I visited Trinity College, one of the oldest in Europe. I took a peak at the book of Kells, a Latin translation of the Bible. It was nothing special, but the old library that you get to see after was super cool. Some of the books in there looked hundreds of years old, and the spiral staircases were awesome.



Celebrating St. Patty's day week!



Looking forward to my next Irish visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment